Monday, October 16, 2017

Album Reviews #1 & #2: 1989 AND Memories...Do Not Open

Hey Guys! My first album review. I decided to do two albums, since I wanted to show my opinion on these albums especially. Well let's first go to 1989!

I am going to review the deluxe version, so anyways let's start!

Track 1: Welcome To New York
- For the first song of the album, it's really good. Love the little introduction, which starts off the album really nice. Overall, a really good start for the album, and a nice anthem.
Score: 9.5/10


Track 2: Blank Space
- Taylor's best song, hands down. If anyone can write a really good romantic song, it's Taylor Swift. Her voice fits so nice into this song. Being the second single, it should have been the first. The last verse is my favorite part, and the pen-click is nice. Overall, Taylor's best song yet. 
Score: 10/10


Track 3: Style
- Being the third single, I think it's the second to last weakest out of all her single from this album. At first, I really wasn't sure of this song. Then, it did grow on me, but not so much that this can be in my top 10 songs of 2015. However, it is a very good, and the chant "Out of style" is really nice. 
Score: 9/10


Track 4: Out Of The Woods
- This is the weakest out of all the singles in the album. But this does not make this a bad song. I can say that this is pretty close to being as good as Style. Love the chorus, being my favorite part of the song. Overall, a really nice song. 
Score: 9/10


Track 5: All You Had To Do Was Stay
- Now that I read the title now, it makes me think of Stay by Zedd. Anyways,I feel like she doesn't show off her full capability in this song. However, the song is really good, and the "Stay" part she kinda screams is surprisingly not annoying.
Score: 8.5/10


Track 6: Shake It Off
- Ahhh, the first single of his album. People were making parody's of this song left and right. Heck, even my 5th grade class made a parody for EDUCATIONAL purposes. It's incredible. And surprisingly, I never got sick of it. Yeah, I think it is a very good song, and a nice choice. 
Score: 10/10


Track 7: I Wish You Would
- My main problem with this song, is that the chorus goes by goes quickly. By the half way point it already feels like the song is already on the final verse. In addition, it's too repetitive, and I mean WAY too repetitive. Other than that, a pretty good song. 
Score: 7.5/10



Track 8: Bad Blood (ft. Kendrick Lamar)
- Love the lyrics! I don't know why, but I have this urge to say "Love those words". The words just fits so well with her attitude in this song. And yes, I like the Kendrick Lamar version better. He puts the right personality in the song. My favorite part is when she says "Band-aids don't fix bullet holes". It just feels so satisfying when I hear that. Overall, a well made song. 
Score: 10/10


Track 9: Wildest Dreams
- This song brings back so many memories (not going to share them). Again, if anyone can make a romantic song it's Taylor Swift. When I first heard the album, I thought it was the best song off the album. Well, it's not that it got worse, it's that Blank Space got better. Overall, really good.
Score: 10/10


Track 10: How You Get The Girl
- This is a really good song. However, I don't see anything that stands out. Everything might be good, but it just sounds so generic. The chorus I guess brings more excitement into the song. Not bad, but solid. 
Score: 8/10


Track 11: This Love
- this song is so quiet...Anyways, nothing exciting. This is the problem, the build-up seems to be going into the direction of a pretty big and loud chorus. Nope, same pitch, but louder background music. This is not what I wanted. However, her voice fits the lyrics which is nice.
Score: 5.5/10


Track 12: I Know Places
- After that quiet disaster, we have a little bit of a louder song. Love her compassion! Again, the voice is just really nice in this song. She really shows her power in the song, especially in the last verse. Amazing song all together.
Score: 9.5/10


Track 13: Clean
- Like the beat in this song. The chorus is the best part of this part. The second part is definitely the pre-chorus. Overall, a nice song, and Taylor pulls it off again.
Score: 9.5/10


Track 14: Wonderland
- the moment I heard "rabbit" in the song, I knew this song was an Alice And Wonderland reference. Now this is Taylor I want. The last three songs weren't that loud, but this is the Taylor that everyone knows. I was so happy when I heard a loud song finally. An amazing song too wake us up.
Score: 10/10

Track 15: You Are My Love
- A nice slow dance song. Love the build-up, and the short lines fit nicely in the song. This is a nice edition in the album. Taylor, do this kind of slow music, not This Love.
Score: 9.5/10


Track 16: New Romantics
- Not but not least, New Romantics. I already kinda explained this in my top 10 songs of 2016 but i can say it again. Again, the voice fits in the song very well. She literally can manipulate her voice in any way. Best extra song in the 1989 album.
Score: 10/10

Rankdown!:
1. Blank Space
2. Bad Blood (ft. Kendrick Lamar)
3. Wildest Dreams
4. New Romantics
5. Wonderland
6. Shake It Off
7. Welcome To New York
8. You Are My Love
9. Clean
10. I Know Places
11. Style
12. Out Of The Woods
13. All You Had To Do Was Stay
14. How You Get The Girl
15. I Wish You Would
16. This Love


Thoughts: If i'm going to honest, I was expecting this. Almost all the songs are really good. This is a definite contender for best album of the decade. Making 16 pretty good songs is hard to do. Taylor pretty much only screwed up on one of the songs. Taylor has done something that few people can do. I already am ready for her new album, Reputation.

Total Score: 145.5/160 = 90.93% (A-)
My Score: 10/10
_________________________________________________________________________________

Now we move on to Memories...Do Not Open. This album has a lot more songs than Collage EP. Lets start! Now The Chainsmokers are different than Taylor Swift so I expect to see a difference in music. 

Track 1: The One
- For the start of the album, I love it! It is very catchy and the EDM is nice towards the end of this song. Taggart does really well with the vocals, and definitely has improved. 
Score: 9.5/10


Track 2: Break Up Every Night
- Very catchy. I really like the fast paced beat and once again, Taggart shows off his improved voice. The second chorus where it gets louder is my favorite part. Overall, a really catchy song. 
Score: 9/10

Track 3: Bloodstream
- For The Chainsmokers to put up a song like this, you would think they would do a bad job, but I was WRONG. I don't even know why I love this song so much. I really love the beat and the pre-chorus is definitely my favorite. Taggart's vocals are probably the best in this song than any other song. Well done for proving me wrong Chainsmokers. 
Score: 10/10


Track 4: Don't Say (ft. Emily Warren)
- The Chainsmokers must like Emily Warren a lot, because she is in three songs! Out of the three songs she is in, she demonstrates what she is capable of the least in this song. The song is not bad, it's just that she could have done a little better. Just as a side note, that outro though. Qualms...
Score: 8.5/10


Track 5: Something Just Like This (ft. Coldplay)
- Well, you already know my opinion on this. It was my favorite song on the weekend countdown for 16 weeks! When I first heard this song, I knew it was going to be good after Closer. And sure enough I was right! Coldplay was definitely the right choice for this song. I really can't think of anyone else who can replace them in this song. The lyrics are mostly about fairy tales, superheroes, and myths, which I am fine with. Overall, best song off the album, and second best song from The Chainsmokers. 
Score: 10/10


Track 6: My Type (ft. Emily Warren)
- Second song from Emily Warren, and she definitely shows her capability in this song. She really shows her voice really well. I really like the song in general, especially the chorus.
Score: 9.5/10


Track 7: It Won't Kill Ya (ft. Louane)
- A good song. Apperantely Louane is a French singer, and she sounds really good. The song in general is good except for one part, the drop. I'm sorry, but the saying something in the middle of the drop is just not cool. 
Score: 9/10


Track 8: Paris
- Even though Emily Warren is not credited in Paris, she is in it. The Chainsmokers first single off this album, and surprisingly, it just gets better. I am dead serious. At first I thought it was great, but now it is really amazing. Emily Warren does a nice job as background vocals. Overall, a nice song to put as a single.
Score: 10/10


Track 9: Honest
- Not a strong single to put out. There were definitely other and better options. However, a nice song overall. The beginning speech from Taggart was nice. I have two big problem with this song. First is Taggart's vocals. just not as good as other songs. Second is the "woah" part in the beginning and after the second chorus. This has declined since the last time I heard this song. 
Score: 8/10

Track 10: Wake Up Alone (ft. Jhene Aiko)
- The whole song is only good in everything until the last chorus. That last chorus is amazing. It's sad that the rest of the song is only decent. This would have been a 6/10 if it weren't for the last chorus. 
Score: 7.5/10

Track 11: Young
- Love the meaning. I was expecting this to be their third single. This would have been MUCH better than Honest. I just love every aspect of this song, and the drop is really good. Overall, a really good song. 
Score: 10/10

Track 12: Last Day Alive (ft. Florida George Line)
- Now, when I saw that Florida George Line was in this, I thought it was going to be bad. Well, its decent but it's decent NOT because of Florida George Line. They are actually okay. The problem is too much repetition. All I can rememebr about this song is Florida George Line saying "Now or never" or "The last day alive". 
Score: 7/10

Rankdown!:
1. Something Just Like This (ft. Coldplay)
2. Young
3. Paris
4. Bloodstream
5. My Type (ft. Emily Warren)
6. The One
7. Break Up Every Night
8. It Won't Kill Ya (ft. Louane)
9. Don't Say (ft. Emily Warren)
10. Honest
11. Wake Up Alone (ft. Jhene Aiko)
12. Last Day Alive (ft. Florida George Line)

Thoughts: So far, the best album of 2017. Usually, dance/electronic albums will be better than Pop since dance has those sick drops, and Pop has mostly vocals. The Chainsmokers best album. really good. 

Total Score: 108/120 = 90% (A-)
My Score: 10/10
_________________________________________________________________________________

So there you go! two really good albums from my favorite two artists. I hope you liked it.




See ya on the next countdown...

7 comments:

  1. Anytime I'm alone, I can't help thinking about you
    All I want, all I need, honestly, it's just me and you
    He giving me that good shit
    That make me not quit, that good shit
    He giving me that good shit
    That make me not quit, that good shit
    Oh, he give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    He give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    Oh, he give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    He give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    Anytime, anywhere, baby boy, I can misbehave
    Breathe me in, breathe me out, fill me up
    Running through your veins
    He giving me that good shit
    That make me not quit, that good shit
    He giving me that good shit
    That make me not quit, that good shit
    Oh, he give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    He give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    Oh, he give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    He give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    Make me go
    La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
    La, la, la, la, la, la
    Everyday, everyday
    La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
    La, la, la, la, la, la
    Everyday, everyday
    I put that work on you everyday
    When the night fall 'til the sun come
    You done fell in love with a bad guy
    I don't compromise my passion
    It's not what you do for me, I'm doing the same for you
    I don't be tripping or making mistakes
    I made too many in my past (that's right)
    I fight for the things you believe in
    I got your body and put it on drive and
    I got the keys and
    We about to take us a vacation
    I'm about to put all this vintage loving on you
    Baby like it was the late 80s
    When you ride on me, baby rotate it
    He giving me that good shit
    That make me not quit, that good shit
    Oh, he give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    He give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    Oh, he give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    He give it to me
    Everyday, everyday, everyday
    Make me go
    La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
    La, la, la, la, la, la
    Everyday, everyday
    La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
    La, la, la, la, la, la
    Everyday, everyday
    Give it to me, to me
    (She got me on it)
    Oh, he give it to me every day
    (She got me on it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does that have to do with the album reviews?

      Delete
  2. My god. No wonder that awful song lasted two weeks on the countdown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to like Honest, but I hate it now. The speech is nice but the song is just bland. It doesn´t have their usual EDM energy that they had in previous work. Young or The One should be the next single.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They technically did a "sneak peek" with their album one day before the release date by putting up a youtube video of The One (Audio). I'm 98% sure Young is going to be their next single.

      Delete
    2. I think The One should be the next single.

      Delete